For the 23rd year, Hempfield-Greensburg Fire Prevention Day returns to Westmoreland Mall on Oct. 6th.
The event at the mall outside is Sears and takes place from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. There will be free snacks and refreshments, live rescue demonstrations, as well seeing nearly 100 firetrucks up close in person.
Firefighters from all over Westmoreland County join together to help spread fire safety and prevention all throughout the second week of October.
According to NFPA (National Firefighter Protection Agency), “ Fire Prevention Week is observed each year during the week of October 9th in commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire, which began on October 8, 1871, and caused devastating damage. This horrific conflagration killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures, and burned more than 2,000 acres of land.”
Fire departments also spread awareness to local schools, businesses, and daycares in the area to ensure the safety of everyone.
(INSERT QUOTE HERE. WILL TRY BEST TO HAVE ONE FOR CLASS TUESDAY, I MESSAGED 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE FOR QUOTES AND NOONE GOT BACK TO ME…)
So are you prepared if there is an emergency in your house/apartment?
According to the NFPA, you should:
* Make sure your sleeping room has a smoke alarm and test them at least monthly
* Never remove/disable the alarm
* Learn your buildings evacuation plan
* Make sure you have TWO ways out of every room
* When the alarm sounds, get out quickly and stay out
* Stay in the kitchen when cooking(6 out of 7 fires in dorms are started by cooking)
* Check your university’s rules before using electrical appliances in your room.
* Clear all exits/hallways/stairs in case of an emergency
All it takes is a couple minutes a month, that could save your life!