Recipe Credit: Robin Gaffey
Prep Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total: Approximately 2 hours
What You’ll Need:
· 10.25-Inch Pie Dish (11.75 W x 2.5 D)
· 12 medium Macintosh Apples
· 2 ¼ cups flour, plus more for sprinkling
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup Crisco
· 1/3 cup cold water
· 1 ¼ cups sugar
· 3 tablespoons corn starch
· Cinnamon for sprinkling
· 1 egg
· Vanilla ice cream *optional
· Caramel sauce *optional
· Milk *optional
1. Peel and cut apples. Rinse under cool water and allow to dry in strainer until needed.
2. Cut together 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup of Crisco with a pastry knife. Texture should be crumbly. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine ¼ cup of flour and 1/3 cup of COLD water. Texture should resemble paste.
4. Pour paste over the flour mixture and form into a ball.
5. On parchment paper, sprinkle flour.
6. Separate dough ball into two even balls. With one ball, flatten and get flour on both sides. Then roll with rolling pin to about 1/8th of an inch in a circular shape.
7. Place the rolled dough into your pie dish and flatten out. Be sure to have crust all the way around. If you don’t, cut from where you have an excess of crust to fill where needed. Then trim all around for an even crust.
8. Pour half of your apples into crust.
9. In a separate bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of corn starch and 1 cup of sugar. Sift together until even distributed.
10. Pour ½ of the sugar mixture on top of the apples, coating evenly.
11. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of apples and sugar mixture.
12. Pour remaining apples on top, spreading evenly and lightly pushing down.
13. Use the remaining sugar mixture on top, and then sprinkle with cinnamon again.
14. Roll out remaining dough ball for the crust lid in the same fashion as previously stated.
15. Place your rolled-out crust on top of the crust/apple/mixture, pinching the sides to seal the top and bottom crusts together. Remove any excess crust.
16. Preheat oven to 425 F.
17. Take a knife and make desired design on top of crust for aeration.
18. Crack 1 egg into a bowl, whisk with pastry brush.
19. With pastry brush, brush egg on top of crust in every crevice.
20. Pour ¼ cup of sugar on top of buttered crust evenly.
21. Once oven is preheated, place your pie in for 15 minutes.
22. At 15 minutes, turn oven temperate down to 375 F, and let bake for another 45 minutes. You don’t need to remove your pie for this step.
23. When done, let cool for at least 2 hours.
24. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
**Baker’s Tip** A great way to enjoy your warm pie is to place it into a cereal bowl and pour milk over it!